Monday 27 April 2009

Cakes : Kuih Ambon 0r Steam Sponge Cakes


..Honestly, I hardly remember where did I get the recipe for this 'kuih ambon'..
But the recipe written in my recipe notebook are...

6 eggs
1 tablespoon ovalette
1 mug sugar ( but I reduced to 1 cup of sugar, and I used custer sugar)
a few drops rose essence (optional, I used vanilla essence)
1 1/2 cup plain flour ( sift the flour)
food colouring..red, green..(depends on you, I used pandan emulco, strawberry emulco, coffee emulco)


written in my recipe notebook..too

whisking egg, ovalette, sugar , rose essence until fluffy
then, add the plain flour into the mixture.
mixed them well.

What I did ...

1. Whisking egg white and ovalette first until stiff and dry.
2.In another bowl, whisk yolks, caster sugar till the mixture is very pale.
3. Then, combine the mixture from 1 and 2..
4. Slowly fold the sifted plain flour into the mixture 3.
5. Divide the mixture into 3 bowls. One colour for one bowl.
6. Pour the mixture one by one into a grease prepared tin.. (depends on how you like it).
7. Cook in a steam pan covered, with a cloth till cooked..

I made this 'kuih ambon' or may be I can named it as a 'steam sponge cake' last saturday night.. and it is completely finished by the next day afternoon. All that can be said for this cakes.. is great alternative to the usual cake I made..My family liked it.. So, why not give it a try..

No comments: